Definition of Hydrocephalus
The term “Hydrocephalus” is derived from Greek words hydro means “water”, and ceph means “head”. It is a medical disorder that is developed when there is an unusual increase in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the ventricles of the brain.
The babies who are victims of this condition are called Hydrocephalus Babies.
Symptoms of Hydrocephalus
The symptoms that will start to appear in the beginning may include:
- bulging fontanelle, or soft spot at skull.
- rapid increase in head circumference.
- eyes that deviate in the downward direction.
- sleepy condition.
- Abnormally increased size of the head.
Causes of Hydrocephalus in Babies
Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) normally passes through human brain and spinal cord. Sometimes its amount in our brains is increased due to some reasons. This condition may lead to:
- The blockage, which creates troubles for cerebrospinal fluid to flow in a normal way
- Decreased capability of blood vessels to absorb CSF
- Our brain starts to make extra amount of CSF
When a person has an excessive amount of CSF in his body, then it exerts enormous pressure on his brain. It is a very painful situation because it may damage the brain tissues.
It has been observed in a few cases that hydrocephalus begins prior to the birth of the baby. It may happen due to the following factors:
- The flaw by birth when patient’s spinal column does not close
- genetic disorders and flaws
- specific infections, which may be observed in the period of pregnancy, for example rubella.
The disease may also attack the newborn babies and the other little children due to:
- infections in the central nervous system like meningitis,
- injuries, which may occur prior, during, or after delivery
- premature delivery
- central nervous system tumors.
How is hydrocephalus diagnosed in Babies?
When it comes to diagnose hydrocephalus in the babies then the doctor would first like to do the CT scan of the head. After CT scan the doctor might also want to take a few other tests that would include:
- Brain scan with the help of radioisotopes
- Cranial ultrasound (The ultrasound of the brain)
- Lumbar puncture and examining the cerebrospinal fluid
- Skull x-rays
Treatment of Hydrocephalus in Homeopathy
There are many effective medicines available in homeopathy for the treatment of Hydrocephalus in babies. Here is a list of some of the commonly used homeopathic medicines for the disease:
- Calcarea phosphorica
- Apis mellifica
You are advised not to use these homeopathic medicines without consulting your homeopathic doctor. These medicines are listed for reference and education purpose only.
Recently a case of Hydrocephalus Baby was cured by the treatment of Dr. Sabeel. See the full case study here.
At Sabeelhomeoclinic.com we don't 'claim' or 'guarantee' to cure any disease or condition, especially those which are considered as 'incurable' on the basis of modern scientific researches. Please don't use any mentioned medicines without asking from your doctor. See full disclaimer here.