What Are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are also known as Calculi or Renal Stones. These stones are actually crystalline and hard minerals that are created inside Urinary tract or Kidneys. Even very smaller sized stones can damage tissues of kidney creating infection.
How Kidney Stones Are Formed?
The main function of Kidneys is to remove waste materials from blood and throw them into the urine to be excreted from human body. Sometimes these waste materials are not properly dissolved in the urine that causes the formation of stones in the kidney or urinary tract.
There may be various reasons or causes of Kidney Stones formation. Some important are mentioned below:
- Dehydration (less water) for a long period of time
- Decrease in Acidic level of urine
- Blockage in Urinary Tract
- Excess of certain substances in urine like phosphates, calcium, oxalates etc
- Infections in Urinary Tract
- Doing nothing or very less physical activity
- Deficiency of Vitamin A
- Excess of Vitamins C and D
- Using medicines that increase the levels of calcium and uric acid in blood
What are Common Types of Kidney Stones?
Calcium Kidney Stones: Most common type is Calcium stones which is caused by excess of Calcium in urine. More common in men.
Uric Acid Kidney Stones: These are more common in women and are mainly caused by severe dehydration or in condition where Uric Acid level is increased in blood (for example in Gout disease).
Cystine Kidney Stones: These are not so common and are usually formed in people that suffer from a Genetic Disorder called Cystinuria. These stones are most difficult to treat and most of the time are diagnosed during childhood.
Struvite Kidney Stones: These type of stones are more common in women and are usually larger in size. The main reason of their cause is infection in Urinary tract.
What Are Common Symptoms of Kidney Stones?
- Cramping pain in abdomen, groin or lower back
- Vomiting and Nausea
- Blood seen in Urine
- Urine may be foul smelling
- Feeling pain (burning) during urination
- Urinating many times during night
- Blockage is felt during urination
- Frequent feelings of chill and fever
How Treatment of Kidney Stones is Done in Homeopathy?
In homeopathy effective treatment of Kidney stones in available. In 95% of cases Kidney stones are removed without surgery or operation. This is the main benefit of this treatment. The homeopathic medicines work by breaking the kidney stones into very small pieces that are then dissolved in the urine to be excreted out. Medicines are used to eliminate the infection that had caused by kidney stones. Homeopathic medicines also stop the re-formation of kidney stones and prevent infection in urinary tract and kidneys.
In some cases (about 5% cases) the stones are very large and cannot be eliminated by homeopathic medicines. In such cases Surgery or Operation is recommended. After operation the homeopathic medicines are given again to prevent re-formation of kidney stones.